Friday, July 6, 2007

Technology!!!! # 7

Okay, so I have a minor addiction to the NASA website. I cannot believe the pictures that come back from Hubble (does that even work anymore) or from the ISS (International Space Station). I could spend hours just surfing through images on Astronomy.com. But I guess I am supposed to talk about technology in this blog. Well, I guess NASA emcompasses technology. We are on missions to Mars, we have astronauts living in space, and we are growing vegetables in space!

I used to live in Jacksonville, FL and would watch the shuttle go up on every mission. It took my breath away that all these onboard computers and those in the mission control room were able to get that huge shuttle up, up, and away.

I think of what the future will bring and I can't wait to try the elevator to space!


A space elevator is a proposed megastructure designed to transport material from a celestial body's surface into space. Many different types of space elevators have been suggested. They all share the goal of replacing rocket propulsion with the traversal of a fixed structure via a mechanism not unlike an elevator in order to move material into or beyond orbit. Space elevators have also sometimes been referred to as beanstalks, space bridges, space lifts, space ladders, skyhooks or orbital towers.

Wikipedia is so cool!

No comments: